- Spanish striker Diego Costa is set to be unveiled at La Liga side Atletico Madrid
- Costa, 28, is likely to meet his for former boss Antonio Conte since his self imposed exile when the Blues visit Wanda Metropolitano
- Atletico Manager Diego Simeone revealed that Costa showed much interest to join the club
Inbound Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa could be paraded in front of the home fans ahead of their Champions League clash with Chelsea on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.
The Spain striker landed in the Spanish capital on Friday, September 22, 2017 and completed a medical before making an appearance in the stands for the 2-0 La Liga win over Sevilla.
And he could complete his £67million return to the Spanish capital within the next few days.
While Atletico’s Fifa-imposed transfer ban means he cannot be officially registered until January, this deal would constitute a binding agreement with Chelsea.
Wednesday night’s clash will be an awkward first encounter for Costa, 28, with Antonio Conte and the Chelsea hierarchy since they celebrated the title together in May.
Striker Costa was the west London’s top scorer last season with 20 Premier League goals.
But he was allegedly told he was surplus to requirements by boss Conte via a text message.
However, he received a hero’s welcome when he was greeted by delighted Atletico fans at Madrid’s Alfonso Suarez airport upon his arrival.
Speaking after Atletico’s win over Sevilla, boss Diego Simeone revealed the striker fought for the transfer, which had been mooted throughout the summer.
Simeone said: “It makes us so happy that a player of such high esteem would have such a strong desire to join us.
“He fought for this move and that is admirable. I’m very happy.”
PAY ATTENTION: Get the latest Nigeria news on NAIJ.com mobile app
Costa joined the Blues from Atletico in 2014 for £32m and scored 58 goals in his three years in west London.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com recently asked Nigerians to give their thoughts on Neymar's move to PSG in this video below: