- Ronaldo has been ranked the world's highest paid athlete in 2017
- Barcelona's Lionel Messi is ranked third on the annual list by Forbes
- Basketball stars dominate the top ten money list with four entries
Real Madrid and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo has retained his spot at the top of the world's highest paid footballers list.
Ronaldo, a four time Champions League winner is ranked ahead of NBA star Lebron James and rival Lionel Messi.
According to Forbes annual ranking of the world’s 100 best-paid sportsman, Ronaldo tops the bill with staggering earnings of £71.8million.
Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James who pocketed £66.6m in 2017 is second while Lionel Messi took home £61.8m.
Ronaldo, 32, trousered a £44.8m salary from his club Real Madrid whilst £27m came from endorsements.
Before Ronaldo topped the table, the best-paid athlete was either Tiger Woods or Floyd Mayweather for a staggering 15 years in a row.
Woods was ranked No.17 in the list this year despite his troubles on and off the golf course whilst Mayweather didn’t make the top 100 having failed to have a fight last year.
Top 10 World's best-paid athletes in 2017
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (football) – £71.8m
2. LeBron James (basketball) – £66.6m
3. Lionel Messi (football) – £61.8m
4. Roger Federer (tennis) – £49.4m
5. Kevin Durant (basketball) – £46.8m
6. Rory McIlroy (golf) – £38.6m
6. Andrew Luck (American football) – £38.6m
8. Stephen Curry (basketball) – £36.5m
9. James Harden (basketball) – £36m
10. Lewis Hamilton (F1) – £35.5m
On the other hand, NAIJ.com recently visited the family house of boxing king Anthony Joshua in Sagamu, Ogun state Nigeria;