Lionel Messi has won Europe’s 2016 top scorers award. The Barcelona star netted 51 goals in the calendar year to edge Manchester United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic who came second with 50.
Although Messi missed out on the Ballon d'Or to Cristiano Ronaldo, he has claimed the 2016 highest goal scorer award in the top five European leagues.
Ibrahimovic who had one goal less failed to score as Manchester United made a late comeback to defeat Stoke City on new year's eve.
The 5-time Ballon d’Or winner displayed a variety of exceptional skills in the course of the year and not just goals scoring.
Get the latest news on Naij.com Sports app
Messi was inventive as Barcelona won the La Liga and Copa del Rey double also helped Argentina reach the final of the Copa America, though he missed a crucial penalty in the final against Chile.
Below is a list of players who are top of the goal-scoring chart in top European Leagues
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona, 51 goals)
2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United, 50 goals)
3. Luis Suarez (Barcelona, 48 goals)
4. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 42 goals)
5. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich, 39 goals)